Sunday, August 16, 2009

Place Yourself in a Safe Position and then Resolve to Never Move



As a boy of five or so, it was my father who first expressed to me the importance of maintaining ones position when one is correct. Acquiescing a position in order to appease an aggressor belies noble character. This philosophy has helped me to become a very idealistic if inherently stubborn person. In the past, if I thought my view was correct, I would doggishly hold on to it no matter what the consequences. To the extent that my view was truly "correct", such a stance, I thought was noble and somehow enabling even in the midst of adverse consequences.

Sometimes however, my view was correct from my vantage point, but my vantage (I found out later) was myopic. In such cases it can be very easy to have a false view of "truth". Because of the fact that my view is myopic, there must needs to be an unchanging measure of true and false understandings.

My belief is that life's understanding must be based on true principles that do not change. The only set of principles that I know of which do not change are contained in the Gospel. Heavenly Father has the big picture of the universe. Heavenly Father has purposefully placed over us a veil, so that we do not have the full view of eternity in our grasp. We can thus learn to choose the right even outside the direct presence of our Heavenly Father. The set of principles upon which I have chosen to place myself are those of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. These principles are true and unchanging. This I know to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment